Downtown Oakville is scheduled to look absolutely amazing! I had the opportunity to visit the Open House and look at the upcoming schedule of revitalization events starting this Spring. This is what I took away from that meeting, and I am stoked to see the results.
Phase 1 will start this Spring and run until approximately November of 2019. This will include the revitalization of the Lakeshore between Navey and Dunn. Phase 2 which will begin in 2020 will be between Dunn and Allan. What's happening so far:
- Lakeshore Road will undergo storm sewer, sanitary sewer and utility (Internet, Hydro, Water) renewal work.
- Trees along Lakeshore Road are being removed but will be replaced using a best-practice technique called Silva cells to ensure replacement trees are healthy and long lasting. The removal of the trees has been cheduled for a 'dormant' period (March) to minimize an impact on the bird population. By the way, the current trees cannot be transplanted as these tres were not found, by an extensive aroborist study, to be good candidates for transplanting because of their shape and growth. These 2 factors indicated that they are stressed.
- Towne Square will redeveloped and construction will be hopefully initiated in the fall of 2019. Members of the neighrbourhood associations, the business community, and residents were invited to provide feedback on the overall designs. The thoughts and ideas will be incorporated into the final look of Towne Square.
- Work will begin at 7 a.m. and will run until 7 p.m. on WEEKDAYS. Saturdays will see work begin at 7 a.m. and end at 5 p.m. There is no work planned on Sundays unless approved by the Town,
- Downtown Parking - I took a picture of one of the areas (see below) as to what will be happening as far as parking during this process. Hope the picture helps you. Plus, there will be FREE parking for one hour when using the HonkMobile App during construction.
DOWNTOWN OAKVILLE IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
- Throughout the project there will be access to all buildings. There will be clear and defined access for pedestrians in a corridor-like fashion ensuring viable access to all businesses.
- If the area adjacent to an entrance needs to be temporarily closed for work, the contractor will build an access to the entrance.